Dental scaling also known as tooth scaling is a common dental procedure that aims at removing buildup known as tartar or plaque on and around the tooth. It helps in deep cleaning the tooth surfaces resulting in good oral hygiene. The process of dental scaling constitutes four steps explained below.
- Examination: Dental procedures start with a thorough examination to assess the extent and severity of the issue.
- Local Anesthesia: A local anesthesia in the form of a topical gel or cream is applied to minimize sensations of pain.
- Scaling: After examination, the process starts off by using a hook shaped dental instrument called a scaler for scraping off the buildup. This can be done manually or with electronic instruments. It is characterized by cleaning the deep sockets of the teeth that attach to the gum cavity.
- Polishing: Teeth are polished once scaling is done in order to remove residual stains or buildup. This also adds as a finishing step to smooth the teeth surface. This may also involve smoothing out the rough edges of your teeth.
- Fluoride Treatment: In some treatments, an additional strep of fluoride treatment is done to strengthen tooth enamel.
Benefits of Dental Scaling
Improved Gum Health:
Dental scaling helps in managing and preventing gum diseases such as gingivitis. This helps remove buildup, tartar, or plaque for a cleaner oral cavity.
Minimizing The Risk of Tooth Decay:
Removal of plaque and tartar is a root cause of cavities. Scaling also helps minimizing the overall risks of developing cavities and tooth decay.
Scaling also helps improve the aesthetics of teeth by removing plaque and discoloration on them giving it a cleaner and smoother look.
Combats Bad Breath:
Bacteria build up can be a root cause behind bad breath. Scaling helps remove buildup that harbors bacteria causing unpleasant odor.
Better for Long Run:
Dental scaling should be done after every few months after discussion with your doctor. This recurrent dental cleaning can help prevent you from major dental issues that can not only be costly but also extensive.
Prevention of Tooth Loss:
Gum diseases are a major cause of tooth loss in adults. Scaling helps in removing buildup which in turn minimizes risks of dental cavities and ultimately tooth loss.
Improves Overall Health:
This may sound odd or new but oral health greatly impacts an individual’s overall health. Maintaining good oral health can contribute to overall being,
Dental scaling is a fundamental dental procedure that offers a wide range of benefits involving bacteria removal, prevention of gum diseases, bad breath, tooth decay and tooth loss.
If you are also wanting to commit to a dental hygiene routine; start off with dental scaling. Aava Dental provides holistic assistance on dental care and hygiene. Call us at (818) 792 4500 or visit us at your nearest location to bring out your best smile!